Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lessons from a Kayak

I've never gone kayaking before.  Yesterday, I had my first opportunity and I think I fell in love.  What a peaceful and amazing experience.  At first, there is the initial unease of getting into the kayak.  You feel like you might tip over.  I started out and surveyed the lake to see which direction I would take.  As I paddled on the glassy water, I would hear motors and immediately went into "Traffic Mode".  The bridge over the lake isn't too far, so then I'd realize they were cars and not boats or jet skis coming my way.  After a while, I would feel little waves coming and I would start to go in the opposite direction of oncoming boats with skiers in tow, nervous that the waves would overtake me.


I made my way out towards a little island covered in trees.  I didn't get too close before I started to turn around.  I was taking my time.  I was enjoying the moment.  It was quiet.  I don't get many of these peaceful times with a family to raise.  But it made me thankful.  I am thankful that I got that time to paddle, to think, to breathe and to take it all in.  



God knows exactly what I need and when I need it.  I fight against that a lot.  I think I know what I need when I need it.  What I tend to let overtake me is being on the offensive.  I look to see what is coming my way, next.  Why am I on the lookout instead of enjoying what is right before me?  My kiddos splashing in the water.  My Husband fishing off the dock.  Sharing a great meal, a glass of wine and some wonderful friends.  This beautiful sunset...







1 comment:

  1. your last paragraph is SOoo me :0) thanks for sharing your blog, julie!!~erin roles

    ReplyDelete